Wednesday, May 30, 2007

So there's this guy in my class

and by guy, I mean "man". He's probably in his mid-late 40's. He kinda drives me crazy. He always has something to say, no matter what the subject.

Yesterday he said that computers last 40% longer if you leave them on 24/7. I'm not a computer expert (he does computer work for UPS) but something tells me that computers should not be left on 24/7.

Our first big assignment in the class was a research paper on an aspect of Indian culture. My prof. gave us a list of topics that included wedding customs, outsourcing, the railway system, etc. So this man chose outsourcing. The day the papers were due, our prof. asked us to share a little about what we learned. So this guy's talking about outsourcing, giving stats and all kinds of things. My prof asks, "So what do YOU think about outsourcing? Good? Bad?" And the guy said that he thought it was good short-term but bad long-term.

Huh? I don't know a lot about outsourcing but how is it good to take jobs away from our people just to give them to people on another continent? I don't get it.

So today we started talking about cause & effect writing. My prof. put us into two groups and put a list of things on the board. That list included child abuse, poverty, homelessness, Wal-Mart, and Title IX. He told us to pick two of these things and list all the causes and effects that we could think of. So I heard this guy's group pick Wal-Mart. Then I heard him say, "If you can't find it at Wal-Mart, you don't need it."

Om, ok. I didn't say anything because I was working with my group and it's really none of my business. I don't even know what to say about it right now...

I have learned a lot since joining Etsy over a year ago. The thing that stands out the most to me is how GOOD it feels to buy handmade and buy from small businesses. I have gotten (and seen) so many wonderful things on Etsy that Wal Mart will never have. And if they did, I'd still buy from Etsy.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love Etsy too. My friends all think that I'm the girl with the coolest accessories and I find all of them on Etsy! Plus, it makes me feel good to know that I am supporting indie artists!

becca.elpy said...

Grr...I totally understand about annoying class people. My sympathies.

Also, your link to your favorites should be http://www.etsy.com/favorite_listings_public.php?user_id=4781

The one you posted takes me to my favorites. I thought at first, man, we're more alike that I thought. :P Just so ya know.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online