Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Waiter, there's a fly in my soup.

So I really like to cook. Especially from scratch. My b/f was coming over tonight and I felt like making dinner. I've been feeling kinda crappy lately so I wanted tomato soup and a grilled cheese only I didn't want Campbell's, I wanted it from scratch. My b/f reluctlantly agreed to have homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner so I searched the internet for a simple tomato soup recipe.

Apparently, that does not exist.

I found recipes in which you needed 346565 tomatoes or a cup of half-and-half (what?) or you had to roast the tomatoes for 45 minutes before actually making the soup. I remembered I had a recipe for asparagus soup saved in my favorites and I figure, hey, you can make it with broccoli or asparagus so why not tomatoes?

The recipe said to put unmelted butter, flour, and milk in the blender. Unmelted butter and flour in a blender? Ok. We didn't have any fresh tomatoes like I thought we did so I had to use canned which is ok because tomatoes are the one thing that I prefer out of a can. So I throw everything in the blender and ever so carefully blend it. I poured it back in the pot to cook.

At this point, it looks like when it rains at a softball field. It's orange-y white-y red and gross looking. So I begin throwing all kinds of stuff in it. Basically anything tomato flavored or anything that you would eat with tomatoes. I'm glancing out the window every .5 seconds to make sure that the b/f isn't here. I don't want him to see me raiding the kitchen looking for something to fix this with.

I finally got it tasting decent so I turned the burner off b/c the soup was getting pretty thick. When he got here, he looked at the pot and made that face. The kind of face that a five-year-old makes at broccoli. He said that he was sorry and he loved me but he was not eating that. But he did stick his finger in it. He said, "You know what it tastes like? Pizza bites sauce" I said, "Ok. Should we make a pizza? Should I pour it over some spaghetti?" He quickly shot down those ideas.

Then he pointed out that I had tomato something on my white tank top.

And I wanted to crawl in a hole.

I'm such a perfectionist. This tomato soup was devastating :P

So then we're sitting in the living room watching TV and a commercial for the new Disney movie, Ratatouille, comes on. He says, "Hey babe, maybe you could learn something from that." (If you did not click that link or have not seen commercials for this movie, please disregard this entire paragraph).

I said, "Did you just compare my cooking to that of a computer animated RAT?"

By this time, we are both laughing like little girls and of course he is denying the crap out of it.

Anyway, turns out he wasn't even hungry. So I had some rice and broccoli. WHY did you let me cook for you if you weren't even hungry?

2 comments:

becca.elpy said...

Men! My dad does the same thing. Let us cook and then not be hungry...and not tell anyone.

This is a super-fun entry. Sorry about the soup.

Anonymous said...

*hugs* I'm sorry that the soup didn't work out - and I really want to watch that rat movie - it looks cute, and I love Paris!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online