Monday, May 31, 2010

We are Champions. Stupid, stupid champions.

Alternate titles for this post include but are not limited to...
  • I hate you.
  • That's too bad because I love you.
  • "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" isn't a good trail song.
  • This better be a majestic creek.
  • This better be a majestic creek with a unicorn drinking out of it.
  • What is bear spray?
Yesterday was my first day off in six days and I wasn't going to waste it sitting inside. I decided we'd grab lunch and go hiking for a bit.

After lunch at Spenard Roadhouse, we drove out to Campbell Airstrip road AND SAW A BEAR. I freaked out. Not in a scared way but in a "I love animals and there's a bear AHHHH!" way. Sadly, we didn't get a picture of it because the camera was in the bag in the backseat of the car.


The trail was near a river, which was really cool. Except for the mosquitoes. Poor Kyle got eaten alive. At any point, there were at least 10 mosquitoes on him. I didn't get away scot free, though. I woke up at 4:45 this morning to put cortisone on my arms.

After about 45 minutes there, we decided to leave because I hear West Nile is no fun and King Tut died of malaria so that's a downer, too. But I wasn't ready to go home just yet, it was such a pretty day. I decided we'd head to another hiking spot, one on the Seward Highway that I'd been wanting to explore.

We chose a three-mile (one way, so six miles total) trail that ended with a creek. This is where my husband should have said, "Six miles is a long way to walk in the woods, how about we only go halfway?" He didn't do that, though. So we went the distance. And do you know what?

THERE WAS NO CREEK.

I was highly annoyed. My legs were like Jello, my ankles felt as if they'd been hit with hammers, and I was thirsty beyond belief (we somehow forgot to bring water or Gatorade.)

Oh well, at least we got views like these...




You can see more pictures on Flickr!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

All that hiking sounds like fun, minus the million mosquitos! I visited Alaska last summer and all I remember was sitting on the side of the Seward Highway for hours waiting for a ginormous accident to be cleared. Its a great vacation story to tell :)

Sailor July said...

That sounds like such a fun day and the pictures are beautiful! Also, a couple that goes hiking and such on days off = awesome!

Last year Jen and I explored a little hiking trail we kept hearing about. It was SO beautiful and hey, I actually have pictures of it. ^_^ (It's rare for me to have pictures of anything from a few years ago, as my computer blew up. These pictures were taken after!)

Tia Colleen said...

You forgot water??? Oh Megan, haha. It sure made for a cute story though :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online