File Cabinets. Think of the stock opportunities. by Jessica Mullen on FlickrSo, my new job.
I like it. A lot.
It's weird that I find myself so happy in an office setting when, four years ago, I quit my very first job (receptionist) and swore I'd never work in an office again. I worked retail for a while. That was hell. I did the coffee shop for almost two years. That wasn't quite as bad but still made me want to stab myself in the [insert any body part here] after every shift.
Obviously working with the public wasn't for me. I began longing for an office. A computer. A mug of coffee or tea while I work. File folders. Copiers (WHAT. I hate copiers and printers!) A little corner of the world where I could stay tucked away while I worked. I wanted to be an office jockey.
And now I am. I finally get to wear cute clothes to work (which I'll be sharing a la Kramey Martin), drink my coffee or tea at my desk (I have my own desk!), and do something important. Am I helping cure cancer? No. I work in a property appraisal firm. Which is still kind of important, I get the files ready for the appraisers to go inspect & appraise the property and file property-related things. I deal with a tiny bit of business finances and have access to top secret Muni of Anchorage stuff. (Ok, so it's not top secret but whatever.)
Is it something that I want to do for the rest of my life? No, of course not. But it's a fantastic day job for me while I build my business(es.)
Also, one of my coworkers has a habit of bringing coffee and/or muffins for the office so that's kind of awesome.
I like it. A lot.
It's weird that I find myself so happy in an office setting when, four years ago, I quit my very first job (receptionist) and swore I'd never work in an office again. I worked retail for a while. That was hell. I did the coffee shop for almost two years. That wasn't quite as bad but still made me want to stab myself in the [insert any body part here] after every shift.
Obviously working with the public wasn't for me. I began longing for an office. A computer. A mug of coffee or tea while I work. File folders. Copiers (WHAT. I hate copiers and printers!) A little corner of the world where I could stay tucked away while I worked. I wanted to be an office jockey.
And now I am. I finally get to wear cute clothes to work (which I'll be sharing a la Kramey Martin), drink my coffee or tea at my desk (I have my own desk!), and do something important. Am I helping cure cancer? No. I work in a property appraisal firm. Which is still kind of important, I get the files ready for the appraisers to go inspect & appraise the property and file property-related things. I deal with a tiny bit of business finances and have access to top secret Muni of Anchorage stuff. (Ok, so it's not top secret but whatever.)
Is it something that I want to do for the rest of my life? No, of course not. But it's a fantastic day job for me while I build my business(es.)
Also, one of my coworkers has a habit of bringing coffee and/or muffins for the office so that's kind of awesome.

2 comments:
this is SO me. i can't wait to leave my waitress job and start a 'career' in an office, with a desk, and cute business clothes....so congrats to you!
Woohoo, Megan!!!
Major congrats! Your job sounds *lovely* I hope you continue to enjoy it for as long as you work there! ^_^
Post a Comment