Thursday, June 3, 2010

Epiphanies.

Lion's Gate at Mycenae by DimitriS Photography

I had an epiphany the other day. It came after thinking about what my professor (an art historian and, um, professor) said. She said she'd worked in museums, with art restorers, and has studied all over the world but now all she wants to do it share art with as many people as she can.

I thought about that for weeks. Then it hit me.

I love history. It fascinates me.

I read Anne Frank's diary in fourth grade because I was fascinated by WWII (and obviously I was at a reading level well beyond the fourth grade.) I spent time looking up the holocaust and Hitler in encyclopedias. I tried and tried to wrap my brain around everything but never could (still can't.)

When Titanic came out and my cousin was buying books and magazines all about Leo, I was reading about the actual ship. (No offense to my cousin or Leo. He was one fine mammajamma. Still is.)

I watch the History channel to relax. I get excited when there's something about ancient Egypt or 1930s gangsters or Charles Manson (I said something about him on Twitter the other day. I stand by that statement but his story is fascinating.)

Looking at my transcripts, it's 99% history classes. Everything from US History II to History of Western Art I & II to Mythology. It makes sense. I want to further my education with a Bachelor degree in history.

This comes after three years of, "What are you going to do with a degree in general studies?" and my reply of, "I don't know."

Well, now I know. I'm going to be a teacher at the college level or work in a museum, or (in my very wildest but, God it would be so awesome dreams) an archaeologist. (Or I could be an English teacher because I spelled that right the first time.)

Sadly, I don't know when I'll get to do this. We don't have enough time left in Alaska for me to finish my degree at UAA (and I'm not doing that transferring credit mess again.)

Oh well. One day I'll call myself a history major and one day I'll be sharing the past with others one way or another.

1 comment:

Sailor July said...

I *love* this post. First of all, good for you!!! I'm so excited for you. ^_^

Second, I adore History as well. I rarely meet people who think working in a museum or as an archaeologist would be a fun job.

I adore WWII, Egypt (I've said this on my blog before, but I was fascinated by mummies and tombs and pyramids, etc. growing up.) and well... Everything!

Also, The History Channel is almost always on for at least a few hours a day on mine and Jen's TV. We love it, the documentaries, everything.

(Also, if you love WWII, have you ever seen Band of Brothers? It's amazing.)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online