Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Procrastination 101

I should be getting a shower but A) I'm not sure if we have hot water right now and B) I don't want to. I'm going to do this instead...

You're a 90's kid if:


You can sing the rap to "The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air."
Yes. Yes I can.

You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey from "Blossom" and that "How Rude!" comes from Stephanie from "Full House."
I know everything about Full House. I would probably hit someone if they got those mixed up.

You remember when it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
ABC's One Saturday Morning, anyone?

You remember reading "Goosebumps"
Oh my gosh. Yes. My cousin collected and read them but my mom wouldn't let me. When I would go to my aunt's house, I'd sneak a little read.

You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, wax off"
Honestly, I don't.

You took plastic cartoon lunch boxes to school.
Aladdin. With a matching Thermos.

You danced to "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls, Females: had a new motto, Males: got a whole lot gay-er. (so tell me what you want, what you really really want.)
I wanted to be Posh Spice. You don't even know.

HELLO....HOT WHEELS!!!!!
HELLO....I'M A GIRL!!!!!

You remember the craze, then the banning of slap bracelets and slam books.
I have to be honest, I started a slam book in middle school. It only lasted like, one day because I felt bad and was so afraid of getting in trouble.

You still get the urge to say "NOT" after (almost) every sentence...Not...
I don't get the urge, I say it. For real.

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? was both a game and a TV game show.
Yesss.

You knew that Kimberly, the pink ranger, and Tommy, the green Ranger were meant to be together.
I don't know anything about any Power Rangers...

You remember when super nintendos became popular.
Yes, I do. We had an original Nintendo, though. When that died (in 1997, I'm not even kidding you. That thing was older than me) we got a Sega Saturn. I'd give like, $30 for a Sega Saturn and the game "Bug" today.

You remember watching home alone 1, 2 , and 3........and tried to pull the pranks on "intruders"
The second one is the best and I don't want to hear anything else.

"I've fallen and I can't get up"
Sounds familiar...

You remember boom boxes vs. cd players
No...I think this is the 80s? I never had a boom box.

You remember New Kids on The Block when they were cool
I was too young to remember them.

You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By The Bell"
Confession: I've never been that into Saved by the Bell. It's kind of obnoxious...although the theme song is pretty great.

You played and/or collected "Pogs"
Yes yes yes. I played for keeps!

You had at least one Tamagotchi, GigaPet or Nano and brought it everywhere
I didn't have one, actually. But my cousin let me "babysit" hers. I lost it and to this day, it has not been found.

You watched the original Care Bears, My Little Pony, and Ninja Turtles
I loved My Little Pony.

NANCY DREW AND THE HARDY BOYS WERE THE BEST MYSTERY BOOKS
I didn't read them...

Yikes pencils and erasers were the stuff!
If these are what I think they are, then yes, they were the stuff.

All your school supplies were "Lisa Frank" brand.(pencils.notebooks.b
inders.etc.)
You don't even know.

You remember when the new Beanie Babies were always sold out.
They were never sold out for me. I collected them like crazy. I still have my collection at my parents' house...I think there are over 100.

You used to wear those stick on earrings, not only on your ears, but at the corners of your eyes.
Oh yes I did.

You've gotten creeped out by "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"
We didn't have Nickelodeon. My mom thought it was bad. When I'd go to my grandma's, I'd watch Nickelodeon but not this show, I was too scared!

You know the Macarena by heart.
Yea. What of it?

"Talk to the hand" ... enough said
"...'cause the face ain't listening!" or something like that. (Right?)

You thought Brain would finally take over the world
I knew he could never do it.

You always said, "Then why don't you marry it!"
Once again, my mom thought Pee Wee Herman was bad. It probably had something to do with that whole adult theater thing that happened at about the time that I would have been into watching his show.

You remember when everyone went slinky crazy.
I actually don't remember a Slinky craze in the 90s.

You remember when razor scooters were cool.
Yep.


When we were younger:

Before the MySpace frenzy...
If only MySpace had never been...

Before the Internet & text messaging...
Some things are good.

Before Sidekicks & iPods...
Some things are great.

Before PlayStation2 or X-BOX...

...Back when you put off the 5 hours of homework you had every night.
Five hours?! What the heck kind of school did you go to?!

When light up sneakers were cool.
Oh yes. I never had any, though. :(

When you rented VHS tapes, not DVDs.
Some of my best memories are when my big cousin (who I looked up to immensely and still do) would come over. We'd go with my mom to rent movies and pick up pizza, then go home and have a little girls night.

When gas was $0.95 a gallon & Caller ID was a new thing.
Oh, caller ID. What would I do without you? Oh yea, tell the NRA that I'm not interested and tell the Anchorage Daily News that I DON'T WANT THEIR NEWSPAPER.

When we recorded stuff on VCRs & paid $3.50 for a movie.
Where did you go that a movie cost $3.50?

When we called the radio station to request songs to hear off our walkmans.
Never did that...

When the Chicago Bulls were the best team ever.
Do you remember how big Michael Jordan was? He was a superstar. And do you remember when Space Jam came out?

Tag.
I suck at tag.

Get Over Here!!!! means something to you.
Is that supposed to be your mom yelling at you?

Hide-n-Go Seek at dusk.
I didn't do this because we didn't live in a neighborhood so I didn't have other kids to play with. Thanks, parents.

Red Light, Green Light.

Heads Up 7 Up.
We used to play this in elementary school when it was raining outside and we could go out for PE. Hey! Remember PE?!

Playing Kickball & Dodgeball until your porch light came on.
I hated dodgeball with a passion but I loved (and still love) kickball.

Hopskotch.
I was a smart kid but seriously, it took forever for me to learn to draw the little thing on the sidewalk.

Tree Houses.
I didn't have one but I wanted one more than anything.

Hula Hoops.
Queen of hula hoops over here.

Captain Planet.
Sometimes I like to put my fist up in the air and yell, "EARTH!" in hopes that Kyle will put his fist up next to mine and yell, "WIND!" Never happens.

Running through the sprinklers.
We had a huge front yard and lots of sprinklers!

That "Little Mermaid"
Hmm...are we talking about the cover of the Little Mermaid? Because that was an awkward conversation with my mom.

Crying when Mufasa died in the Lion King.
I saw that movie several times before I could make myself watch the part where he dies.

Happy Meals where you chose a Barbie or a Hot Wheels car.
I loved how even the toy smelled like french fry grease.

Getting the privilege to sit in the front seat of the car.
It wasn't really a privilege. My sister is four years younger than me so she was still in the carseat long after I was out. Plus riding in the backseat gives me a headache.

Drinking Sqeeze It "Squeeze The Fun Out Of It"
Once again, my mom wouldn't let me have this. Too messy.

Or what about:

Hey Arnold.
One of my all-time favorite cartoons.

Rugrats.
How epic was that show?

The Secret World of Alex Mac.
This came on Nick? Yea? I didn't see it.

Rocco's Modern Life.
He is a wallaby!

Are You Afraid of the Dark?
We've already covered this one.

Doug.
Love love love.

Magic School Bus.
This instantly transports me to Mrs. Stephens 4th grade classroom.

Aladdin.
I watched this the other night and nearly died of happiness. Disney movies aren't what they used to be.

Pinky and the Brain
I maintain that I used to do a great Pinky impression.

Sailor Moon.
No.

Blossom.
My aunt sent me a Blossom hat for my fifth birthday. It was the best present ever.

Beavis & Butt-Head
Nope. My mom wouldn't even let me say the name of this show!

Wishbone.
Apparenly this is some kind of show about a dog?

Bill Nye the Science Guy
Bill Nye the Science Guy (BILL BILL BILL) Bill Nye the Science Guy!

MR RODGERS!!!!
I used to watch this with my grandma. And Reading Rainbow. (Go PBS!)

Where everyone wanted to be in love after watching The Wonder Years.
One of my all-time favorite shows. (And the theme song is amazing. It's not often that I prefer a cover to the original but in this case, definitely.)

Under the Umbrella Tree
OH MY GOSH. Is there seriously someone else out there that watched this!?! It was my favorite! Gloria, Iggy, and Jay were my invisible friends. (Once again, no friends to play with. Thanks, parents.)

PEE-WEE!!!
We've covered this one, too!

The Big Comfy Couch
I didn't like this show but my cousin was obsessed I tell you.

Kool-Aid was the drink of choice.
Ironically, I drank Kool Aid heavily in high school. Just sugar and Kool Aid, no funny stuff.

Class field trips.
One of the best things about growing up in central Florida? Field trips to Disney, Busch Gardens, and Bok Tower.

When Christmas was the most exciting time of year.
It still is, to me.

When $5 seemed like a million, & another dollar a miracle.
Yep...although I think I still retain a bit of this mindset.

When you begged to go to McDonalds for dinner everyday.
I really didn't.

When Toys R Us overuled the mall.
Our Toys R Us was outside the mall.

Go back to the time when:

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'.
Um...I still do this.

Money issues were handled by whoever was banker in 'Monopoly.'
That was never me. Bad at math over here.

Being old referred to anyone over 20.
Yes. Now I am old.

A chance to skate as a couple at the local roller rink was like winning the lottery.
No. Riding in the big rollerskate was like winning the lottery. And if your friend didn't pick you to ride with them on their birthday, all hell broke loose.

When Ninja Turtles ruled the world.
My cousin would leave his at our grandma's house and I'd play with them.

When Aladdin was new, before the trilogy was complete.
Someone really likes Aladdin, huh? But really, I saw this movie in theatres three times.

Before we realized all this would eventually disappear.
Ok, way to bring me way down.

Who would have thought you'd miss the 90's so much!!!!!
Honestly? Not me. Right at the turn of the century (how cool is it that we get to say that?), I was all about leaving the 90s behind and never looking back. Now I want to look back and remember and share with Kyle because we didn't know each other back then. And his mom was less strict than mine.

3 comments:

steph anne said...

Beanie Babies!! I collected them too and I guess they're not worth much right now. Dangit!

becca.elpy said...

dude,
so much I love about this post that it would be a really long comment, so I might just post it on my blog.

p.s. my brother and i had slinkies. he messed them both up. i was mad at him for a loooong time.

Andhari said...

But I'm into sailor moon.

I'm really lame in the 90's, and probably now too.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online