Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Here comes Debbie Downer

First of all, I'm not going to be doing Work it Out Weekends anymore. I've been thinking about it a lot and I just don't really see a reason for me to continue doing them.

Second, I hope everyone had a lovely Memorial Day! I had to work in the morning but it wasn't a big deal...I get off at 10AM. ;)

After work, and Kyle's golfing, we went to Garrett and Christina's for some grilling and horseshoe playing. I knew going over there that all of the other women would be pregnant or have a baby. And they did. I knew they'd be talking about it nonstop. And they did. (If there's one thing I don't want to hear about, it's labor. Seriously. I cannot take it, it triggers my gag reflex, I swear.) So I hung outside with the boys and their horseshoes.

I tried sitting inside with the ladies (and that one girl's husband who never says a word and does whatever she tells him...I want to say, "Hey man, GROW A PAIR!" but I refrain because maybe he's just shy, like me...only worse.) Anyway, sitting inside didn't work because if they weren't talking about babies and pregnancy, they were complaining about the base and Alaska in general.

"I hate it up here."
Ok. Thank you for spreading the love.

"The winter is SO not worth it for this."
Seriously!????? It is 60 degrees, sunny, and gorgeous outside. I'm a native Floridian and - strike that - Kyle and I are native Floridians and we totally think it's worth it. If I think two solid weeks of below zero temps is worth it, it's worth it.

"I hate our house, it's so small!"
We have the same house. Same street, same layout, same everything basically. Yes, it is small. Yes, it is a super weird layout and has stupid things like a cable jack in the dining room. Yes, it is not ideal but it's free housing and it's decent. In an economy where where people are losing their houses every day, I don't think it's right to complain about free housing.

"I wouldn't want to move off base because it would be hard to find a house or apartment that our BAH covered."
Really? Have you even looked at real estate up here? We have. A lot. Our BAH is about $1500 a month. I can find you a house or apartment in a decent part of Anchorage that is less than that. (BAH is our housing allowance, money that the AF allocates for us to pay for housing.)

I was telling Kyle about this and he said, "I don't know if you've realized but most military wives don't work. They have nothing better to do but nitpick and stupid crap all day long." He's totally right. To me, the winter wasn't bad...but I wasn't sitting at home all day. I worked and when I wasn't working, I was making things or at the gym. I realize that with a small child and/or being pregnant, it would be hard to work. I may be being insensitive but I can't take all that negativity. Or Chatty Kathy who has an opinion on everything. I kind of want to punch her but she's a new mom so I won't. I'll just continue to hang outside with the guys.

2 comments:

becca.elpy said...

wow, your BAH would pay the mortgage on my parents' house easy and it's 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 2 floors with a walk-up attic and full basement.

yeah, it's hard to be around people like that. i find myself usually hanging out in a mostly guy group, too.

Megan said...

I know, right? $1500 is a TON of money!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online