Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Settle something, please.

The other night Kyle and I were watching TV. The Wendy's commercial where the guy is like, "I wonder what George Washington would say if he knew that just one of his dollars could buy whatever it is at Wendy's that only costs $1." Then the other guy starts "impersonating " Washington. He's speaking with a British accent.

M: That commercial is so stupid and annoying. And Washington wouldn't have had a British accent.
K: Are you serious?
M: What do you mean?
K: That Washington wouldn't have a British accent?
M: Yes. He wouldn't have.
K: Do you know who founded America?
M: The British. Duh.
K: So he would have had an accent.
M: No.
K: Did you pass history?

I did pass history. With flying colors. It's my favorite subject.

So I'm asking you: would Washington have had a British accent?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No, he would not have had a British accent. The Colonial accent had already long deviated from the British accent of the day. Not that his accent would have been anything like a typical Virginia accent of today, but his accent would have been decidedly not 'British'

becca.elpy said...

i would have agreed with kyle. so bigbaldhead has set me straight. ha!

Megan said...

Thanks bigbaldhead! I thought the British accent would have been long gone.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online