Last night lying in bed, I heard jets flying over the house like I always do. This time was a little different, though. This was the first time I had heard a jet and didn't think it was a jet, I thought it was thunder. I let out a sigh and closed my eyes. I love sleeping while it storms, the thunder and rain on the roof is like a lullaby. It wasn't long before I remembered that it was a jet.
I miss thunderstorms terribly. Summertime in Florida means a thunderstorm every day, 3 or 4 o'clock. You can count on it, you can set your watch to it. In the summer and fall, you can count on a few hurricanes or tropical storms. If the hurricanes aren't above a category 3 or so, it's kind of like a thunderstorm. Comforting. And you can sit in your garage and watch the wind and rain.
Sometimes it was a little frustrating knowing that by the time I got out of class and left the gym that I'd be racing the storm home but for the most part, it was comforting. I loved being inside on a rainy, stormy day sewing or just watching TV. For some reason, snow doesn't have the same effect on me. You can't hear snow hit the roof, you only hear when the sheet of snow falls off the roof. It sounds like an earthquake. Snow doesn't smell like rain does. It doesn't smell like anything.
I guess I'll just pretend the jets are thunder and that the rain is coming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment