For those of you new to the blog, we're from Florida. We now live in Anchorage. We drove up here in late 2008 because my husband got stationed at Elmendorf AFB. We faced a dilemma driving up: what car would we drive? I had a Mustang, he had a Honda Accord. Neither were capable of pulling a UHaul trailer full of our belongings. So my parents offered to trade us my Mustang for my mom's Ford Expedition. We begrudgingly agreed. (We did it begrudgingly because the Expedition is huge. But we had no choice, it was virtually free and fit our needs.)
As soon as we got up here, we began saving money and looking for cars. We've found a few we liked but they were either out of our price range, a stick shift (I can't drive stick), or had an ungodly amount of miles on it already. So we drove the gas guzzling, eight passenger, two wheel drive Expedition. I threatened to drive myself off the overpass if I had to drive it anymore because it handled so horribly in the snow. You could fish-tail without even trying.
So Sunday, I found a few cars and decided that we were going to look at them. The first one, a Jetta, was sold. The second, also a Jetta, turned out to be a manual. Then, a few cars down from the Jetta sat a Volvo S40. It was perfect. Right in our budget, an automatic, newer than the Jettas I was looking at, decent miles, heated leather seats.
As soon as we got up here, we began saving money and looking for cars. We've found a few we liked but they were either out of our price range, a stick shift (I can't drive stick), or had an ungodly amount of miles on it already. So we drove the gas guzzling, eight passenger, two wheel drive Expedition. I threatened to drive myself off the overpass if I had to drive it anymore because it handled so horribly in the snow. You could fish-tail without even trying.
So Sunday, I found a few cars and decided that we were going to look at them. The first one, a Jetta, was sold. The second, also a Jetta, turned out to be a manual. Then, a few cars down from the Jetta sat a Volvo S40. It was perfect. Right in our budget, an automatic, newer than the Jettas I was looking at, decent miles, heated leather seats.

So we bought it.
Obviously I didn't take that picture because a) that is a European plate and b) outside my house is white right now, there is no green. But other than that, that's my new car. I love it. I've always had a Ford and, to be honest, I think of them as being a little cheap. (I mean, I LOVE FORDS, DAD.) They're good cars, but they seem so commonplace. A Volvo, on the other hand? Well, I might as well be driving a Porsche. I'll never own a Porsche so the Volvo will take its place.
It came with a lot of gadgets and free oil changes for life (WHAT), but my favorite? The Travis Tritt CD left in the CD player. I didn't get to keep it because it turns out that it belongs to one of the salesmen but don't think I wasn't all, "Travis Tritt? This is freakin sweet! I'll take it!"
It came with a lot of gadgets and free oil changes for life (WHAT), but my favorite? The Travis Tritt CD left in the CD player. I didn't get to keep it because it turns out that it belongs to one of the salesmen but don't think I wasn't all, "Travis Tritt? This is freakin sweet! I'll take it!"
That's ok. I'll still take you, car.

8 comments:
How fun! I like it!
ugh i hate you. i want a volvo. lol. theyre expensive for maintaining though...i hear...but im still jealous.
Yeah volvos last forever.
I'm jealous too.
Wait, so you have the 2 cars now, or are you selling the other one?
Jess - They are pricey to maintain, which is why I'm so excited about the free oil changes. Even on the Expedition, it cost us $70 to get the oil changed up here! In FL, it was only $25.
Tia - We actually traded the Expedition for it. So we still only have one car...but there's a Subaru at the same dealership Kyle is seriously thinking about. :D
Awesome, congrats on your new purchase :)
Ooo, nice!
When Jen and I were car shopping in '07, we had our eye on two things. One was a beautiful, beautiful Jetta. The other a beautiful (handsome?) Dodge Ram.
As we were heading down to a seasonal job, well, we picked the Dodge Ram. I had always wanted a pick up truck growing up and even though I can't drive it, I love it. Jen wanted the Jetta, but the truck was just... Better for moving. And she loves it now too!
...Though we still would REALLY love a Jetta.
Thanks, everyone!
Angela - I've wanted a Jetta since before I even got my license. As weird as it sounds, I think the Jetta is my dream car. I've never heard a bad thing about them and they're cute to boot!
Beautiful! Hope you're having fun with your heated seats, miss! =)
Just found you through Christopher and Tia, beautiful blog!
Post a Comment