Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday at the Movies: Public Enemies



This week's flick is a more recent release: 2009's Public Enemies. It was directed by Michael Mann and stars Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, and Marion Cotillard. It's a visually-gorgeous film about notorious gangster John Dillinger. Johnny Depp does a wonderful job, as usual, playing Dillinger. Christan Bale plays Melvin Purvis, head of the FBI's department devoted to taking down Dillinger. Marion Cotillard plays Dillinger's love interest, Billie Frenchette.

Set in 1933 Chicago, and Indiana on occasion, we see Dillinger and his team do what they are known for, rob banks. Depp brings an almost likable aspect to Dillinger, something I feel he does with every role. In Blow, I felt myself downright liking and feeling sorry for his character, a big-time drug smuggler. One aspect of Dillinger that I was unaware of, and completely taken aback by, was the fact that he cared about the public. He didn't like shooting unless he had to and in one scene, refuses to kidnap someone because "the public don't like kidnapping." Since that care and concern was a running concept, I'm assuming it was accurate to the real Dillinger. When I have more time, I plan on reading more about Dillinger to see if anything else in the movie was true to life.

Anyway, let's see some stills. (Courtesy of Ace Show Biz.)


Johnny Depp as Dillinger


Marion Cotillard as his lady love.


Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis and Billy Crudup as J. Edgar Hoover.


Lots of shooting in this movie, but not necessarily as much as you'd think for a movie about 1933 gangsters.


Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis.



One more of Mr. Depp. You know, for good measure.

In short, I loved this movie. I heard mixed reviews, some saying that it wasn't good and others saying what was on my mind, "How can a movie with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale be bad?" Unless it was written by a dying cat, I'm pretty sure it couldn't. So pop some popcorn, make yourself a drink (screwdrivers are my current favorite), and watch Johnny Depp as John Dillinger. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online