
This week's movie is 2008's Gigantic. It's an indie flick directed by Matt Aselton and stars Paul Dano and Zooey Deschanel.
First of all, I typically don't get indie flicks. Why does it have to be all hipster-ish and pretentious? (I'm looking straight at you, Juno.) With that said, I went into this movie a little...frustrated at the fact that I chose an indie this week. I had my guard up.
And then Zooey's character's name was Happy. Her real name is Harriet but she goes by Happy. She goes by a member of the seven dwarfs. Are you kidding me?
Anyway, once I got past that, I didn't feel better about the movie. Paul Dano plays Brian, a mattress salesman who has been on a waiting list to adopt a Chinese orphan for something like eight years. He is twenty-eight. So he got on this list at age twenty. Obviously a twenty year old man is a great candidate for adoption.
Again with the ranting. Sorry. Happy's father, played by John Goodman, comes into the mattress store and buys a $14,000 mattress. Happy comes in the next day to pay for it. She and Brian hit it off, I guess. They "dated" throughout most of the movie but I never got the feeling that they were together. I don't think they had enough chemistry to make it even halfway believable. And John Goodman's character is just too brash. John Goodman is a teddy bear, people.
First of all, I typically don't get indie flicks. Why does it have to be all hipster-ish and pretentious? (I'm looking straight at you, Juno.) With that said, I went into this movie a little...frustrated at the fact that I chose an indie this week. I had my guard up.
And then Zooey's character's name was Happy. Her real name is Harriet but she goes by Happy. She goes by a member of the seven dwarfs. Are you kidding me?
Anyway, once I got past that, I didn't feel better about the movie. Paul Dano plays Brian, a mattress salesman who has been on a waiting list to adopt a Chinese orphan for something like eight years. He is twenty-eight. So he got on this list at age twenty. Obviously a twenty year old man is a great candidate for adoption.
Again with the ranting. Sorry. Happy's father, played by John Goodman, comes into the mattress store and buys a $14,000 mattress. Happy comes in the next day to pay for it. She and Brian hit it off, I guess. They "dated" throughout most of the movie but I never got the feeling that they were together. I don't think they had enough chemistry to make it even halfway believable. And John Goodman's character is just too brash. John Goodman is a teddy bear, people.
That's all I'll say about the movie plot-wise. I don't want to spoil it for those of you who still want to see the movie. I can't recommend that you do that, though. I had to force myself to finish it and the end left me feeling like I had just read one of those "choose your own adventure" books. Those served me no purpose because I wound up reading all the endings and felt ambivalent about them all. This movie was similar, I don't really care what happened to the characters, I was just wondering if it was Thursday because that's when the Office comes on and I've missed the Office lately. Last week's episode kinda sucked, much like this movie.


3 comments:
THANK YOU. I saw you tweet this post and was hoping you agreed with my opinion of this movie. :)
I watched it a few months ago because it was on Netflix instant watch or whatever. To but it bluntly, it lacked heart. Like you mentioned, even halfway through watching it, I could have cared less for any of the customers. I was bored of them.
And don't you see Zooey's nips in the movie? Or was that a different one? For some reason I remember seeing boobs and kind of freaked out, like, "Zooey! You are too legit to show the goods!"
Aaaaanyway, now I kind of want to ask you about how it ends because I was so bleh about the movie that I stopped watching it about 30 minutes before the end. I still don't get the point of the movie, and maybe the ending would have given me more insight?
Dude, typos galore (I blame the fact that it's 6AM)!
I meant "to put it bluntly" and not "to but it bluntly" & meant "characters" when I said "customers".
Don't judge me. :)
I don't really *get* indie films either.
We've tried to sit through one or two, but we normally just turn them off or tune them out.
Post a Comment