
I love broccoli soup and living in Alaska, what with our nine month winters, I get to eat a lot of it. When I'm pressed for time and craving it, I stop by Fred Meyer and get a bowl from their soup bar. A soup bar is the greatest kind of bar ever. Amen.
However, when I have time and energy, I make it from scratch. It's cheaper (I'm assuming), tastes better because it's not 75% cheese, and is undoubtedly better for you. I came across this recipe a few years ago and haven't let go of it since. (I usually half this recipe because it serves eight people and my husband doesn't like broccoli.)
Next you need to make your rue. This is tricky and the only tip I have is to use a fork to help get the lumps out. Melt the 3T of butter and add the 3T of flour. This is where you would use the fork to mix and get rid of the lumps. Add the milk and mix well. Combine the broccoli and flour mixtures. Season with black pepper to taste (and cheese, hehe.) Enjoy!
(I like to eat this with a potato roll or piece of French bread but I swear it is divine with a sweet Hawaiian roll.)
However, when I have time and energy, I make it from scratch. It's cheaper (I'm assuming), tastes better because it's not 75% cheese, and is undoubtedly better for you. I came across this recipe a few years ago and haven't let go of it since. (I usually half this recipe because it serves eight people and my husband doesn't like broccoli.)
- 2T butter
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 5 cups of broth (I use chicken but I assume any will work)
- 8-9 cups of broccoli
- 3T butter
- 3T flour (I usually use whole wheat, it tastes fine)
- 2 cups of milk
- Black pepper to taste
Next you need to make your rue. This is tricky and the only tip I have is to use a fork to help get the lumps out. Melt the 3T of butter and add the 3T of flour. This is where you would use the fork to mix and get rid of the lumps. Add the milk and mix well. Combine the broccoli and flour mixtures. Season with black pepper to taste (and cheese, hehe.) Enjoy!
(I like to eat this with a potato roll or piece of French bread but I swear it is divine with a sweet Hawaiian roll.)

No comments:
Post a Comment