I'm from a very small town in central Florida. Auburndale, located in Polk County. All my life, all I ever wanted was to get out of there. Everyone did. Even though I didn't have anything else in common with anyone I went to high school with, I knew that they wanted out of Polk County just as bad as I did. (Polk County is known for teenage pregnancy and meth...wouldn't you want out of there, too?)
I knew that when Kyle and I got married, we wouldn't stay there. I didn't know where we'd go or how we'd get there, but I knew we'd be gone.
Then Kyle joined the Air Force and Uncle Sam forced us to move to Anchorage. I honestly feel like it was a blessing. There were two bases in Florida that we could have been sent to, but we were sent as far away from home as possible while still being in the United States. Uncle Sam (or God, either one) knew we needed to be far, far away from Polk County.
I feel like...anything is possible. If I can move five thousand miles from home and not only survive but thrive, what's to hold me back from doing anything else? What's to stop me from actually becoming a photographer? Or living in California? Or Colorado? Or England?
When Kyle gets out of the military and we're free to choose where to live, what's saying we have to go back to Florida? Not even Polk County, just Florida. There are planes, trains, and automobiles to take us back to our family but we only live once, right? Why go back and live somewhere that I just spent twenty years of my life? I know everyone there, I've been down every street and back road, and I don't care to do it again. There are too many places to see and people to meet for me to settle for Polk County.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yessss I'm sure you can do anything and live everywhere you like, who knows maybe Europe? Lol or Asia? In latter case you should let me know so I can meet you :p
i feel the same way. i know that whenever tim does get out of the military, we wont be moving back to our hometown. I do want to be back in the midwest or east coast somewhere...we were thinking michigan. i know i want to live on a lake or big body of water...i have to have it. the city i grew up on is right on lake erie...i lived 3 blocks from the lake...so i kind of have to have the beach/water.
you absolutely can do anything! that the most beautiful part about life
Post a Comment