Sunday, July 12, 2009

The only thing I regret about getting married

My maiden name is McNabb. I feel comfortable sharing that with you (even though my current name is on almost all of my online accounts) because Megan isn't my first name. So I feel the chances of someone finding me and kidnapping me because I put my maiden name online is slim to none. Also, I live on an Air Force Base. That's like having a seriously kick arse security system.

So anyway, when I got married, I changed my name because I hated the alliteration in my name. I wanted to be rid of that as soon as humanly possible. When I lost that alliteration, though, I also lost the ability to tell people that Donovan McNabb is my cousin or half-brother.

The first time I heard of him, my dad and uncle told me he was my cousin. I totally bought it. My dad's side of the family is sort of estranged so it seemed totally plausible. Until they showed a close-up of him during the game.

Img from Delaware Online.

That is Donovan McNabb. It became immediately clear that this man was not related to us. Dang.

I know what you're thinking, though. Who on earth would believe that this man was related to me? Let me tell you, a very naive, borderline stupid, ninth grader would.

I was in eleventh grade marine biology. I sat next to said ninth grader, and caddy corner from a boy I had known since kindergarten. Let's call the ninth grader "John" and the kindergarten friend "Robert." One day, Robert has a revelation: my last name is the same as the Eagles' quarterback. So he tells John that I am his half-brother and that I get into all the games free and that I was even going to the game this weekend. He ate. it. up. Totally believed him. So he turns to me and starts asking me all sorts of questions. If memory serves me correctly, Robert had to move to a different seat because he was about to double over in laughter.

"No, we have the same dad, but different moms. Yea, I know, he's way darker than me. Yep, I'm going this weekend. Flying out today after school. We get box seats and everything. Yep, free."

I'm extremely quick witted.

But he believed every word. He really did, he wasn't playing dumb. He really was kind of dumb. Oh, and he had a huge crush on me. It was annoying because it was so clear that Kyle and I were serious.

Anyway.

Once he regained composure, Robert came back and told him it was all a lie. I saw John's face drop. The joy was gone.

I mean, sure, he was the only person to ever believe that I was related to Donovan McNabb, but the fun I had in those five minutes was almost enough to put up with the alliteration in my name.

3 comments:

becca.elpy said...

teehee, lem (cause lemonade is your first name)! I think you told that story in chat once. still made me giggle :D

jessicajane said...

i feel sort of robbed that Megan isnt your first name. Do you go by Megan outside of the internet world?

and that story is pretty great. haha.

Andhari said...

LOL too funny! He's such a naïve sweet guy!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online