Friday, July 24, 2009

Embrace the thrift

As a kid, I spent many Saturdays at the Goodwill. My mom, grandma, sister, and I would spend, what felt like, all day at the Goodwill. The one we went to had a whole entire book room. As a child reading prodigy, I loved that.

I don't think I understood that these things were used until I was older. Then it became uncool to buy used things. I
loathed going to thrift stores. My mom knew I didn't want to go thrifting or yard saling so she didn't even ask.

Then I began seeing all the neat things that people got from thrift stores on Etsy and Flickr. I still couldn't bring myself to go into one, though. I mean, what if
Kyle found out I went to thrift stores? He might not love me anymore! (I was in high school, ok?) Plus, the thrift stores at home kind of smelled.

Then we got stationed in Alaska. And they have Value Village up here. I was so excited because I'd heard about it on Craftster but never been to one. I'd never even seen one.

I went in one.
What's that? It doesn't smell! And it's CLEAN! I swear I heard angels singing. I got brave and thought I'd go next door to the Salvation Army. It kind of smelled but it was ok...not fabulous like VV, but ok. (The Salvation Army on Northern Lights is a different story. i walked in and walked right back out. It absolutley reeked.)

So anyway, I treat myself to Value Village once a week or so. I love finding craft supplies and vintage goodies. I've gotten a
ton of trims, some Stitch Witchery, vintage pillowcases for fabric, vintage sheet music, etc. Most of these things will be used on items for Olive & Jude since my focus will be vintage/recycled/eco friendly. That's kind of irrelevant right now, though.

Yesterday I went to VV to celebrate my last day of my summer class. I almost didn't go. I'm so glad I went because...I hit the effing motherload.

This extremely cute Stephanie Johnson bag. It was $10 new with tags and was originally sold at Neiman Marcus so...expensive.


These pastels from 1936. There are still pastels in there! Lots of them! I'm obviously not an artist so I won't use them but I will look at the box and remind myself that they are very old.


Three Nancy Drew mysteries and one Dana Girls mystery. I've never read any of these, and I have no plans to, but these are from the 1930s, 1950s, and 1960 so I couldn't pass them up. They are pure eye candy to me. And they were sixty-nine cents each. Score!

Other things I got that I don't have pics of because I just haven't taken pics or because they don't warrant pics:
  • Hardcover copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (I'm collecting them all in hardcover.)
  • A shot glass with a yellow rose that says "Don't Mess with Texas." Kyle and I both love Texas so much, I knew he'd appreciate it. /end sarcasm
  • A "goodie bag" of bias tapes, trims, and some mysterious silver trim that may or may not be reflective tape stuff.
For more of my thrift store finds, visit this set on Flickr.

2 comments:

Andhari said...

I've never tried thrifting myself but harry potter books and neiman marcus stuff sound great!:)

Ev`Yan Whitney said...

I am SO extremely jealous that you found those Nancy Drew books. I LOVE those books, & have a collection of my own but they are not nearly as old as though. Again, SO jealous. What I wouldn't give to have books that old. Those are like the ones I used to get from the library.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online