Friday, August 28, 2009

Project Runway S6 E2

Challenge: Create an outfit for a very pregnant Rebecca Romijn
Guest Judge: Rebecca Romijn, obviously

Kudos to Project Runway for coming up with a brand new challenge. They’ve done red carpets in the past but I don’t recall a pregnancy challenge (I have never seen the first season, though.) I was pleasantly surprised last night, there were only one or two outfits that I didn't care for. We're going to discuss almost all of last night's outfits so buckle up. I was going to do all of them but there are a few that only warrant a "that's pretty" or "I like this."

First thing's first: where was Michael Kors? I totally spaced out when Heidi was introducing the judges so when I saw Monique Lhullier sitting there, I was all, "WHAT THE HECK?!" Michael is my second favorite part of the show, aside from Tim. (I seem to have a thing for gay guys.)

Another thing, Heidi talked an awful lot this episode. Normally we just hear a word or two from her but she was a Chatty Kathy on Thursday. It was like Michael was gone so she was all, "While the cat's away, the German supermodel's gonna talk your ear off, bitches."

Last thing before we get going: did no one hear Tim when he said that Rebecca's only requirement was that it be form fitting? She's Rebecca freakin Romijn, she has a fab body even while pregnant, and she wants to show it off!

Anyway...

Let's start with the loser, Malvin.

Oh, Malvin. You're not too conceptual for America. Any country would deem you too conceptual.

Having a concept of the mother hen and the egg for a pregnancy outfit? Ehhh, you're pushing it. Adding feathers to said outfit and making the fabric the color of an egg? You have pushed it so far over the edge that not even Ari is on board. It wouldn't have been bad had he not added the feathers and draped the front fabric like a baby sling. And what is with him and that white fabric? Didn't he use it on the last dress? Is is burlap? Because that's what it looks like. (According to the PRGay boys, it's linen.)

On to the winner, Shirin.

Jacket on, it's pretty.

Jacket off, it's drop dead gorgeous. The color and shape of the dress is perfect. And the waist! Amazing. Seriously, I cannot get over what she did with the waistline. (If you can't see, it's this sort of braided/woven treatment.) The jacket is impeccable. I'm going to go ahead and say that I think this is one of the prettiest things to go down the PR runway.


I feel like Nicolas totally got shafted here. This is gorgeous! The colors are slimming. It looks expensive and wearable and comfortable. I think it'd fit into almost anyone's life, from Rebecca Romijn to a regular gal who maybe just wants to look fab on a dinner date. Kudos, Nicolas! Now there's just one thing...

Could you STOP LEANING FORWARD in all of your confessional shots?!


Mitchell, I don't know what to do with you. Clearly you have vision but your executions are always so...bad. Just awful. If properly executed, I would wear this in a second. It's cute and hip and wonderfully styled. But it's not properly executed. It's the complete opposite of that, actually. The shorts are far too short (for anyone, let alone a pregnant lady) and just poorly made. I think the top is probably ok, it just looks lumpy and bumpy because of the shorts. And why doesn't the model PULL THE SWEATER ONTO HER? I realize that's not totally your fault, Mitchell, but don't you tell the model what to do? Tell her to pull the freakin thing onto her body so that this outfit looks somewhat put together.


Louise is like a really sweet Kenley. I bet the girl has never sassed Heidi Klum or thrown a cat.

This was really sweet but I highly doubt anyone, even Rebecca Romijn, would wear this out of the house. She said repeatedly that she'd wear it on a date night with Jerry O'Connell but I don't believe her.

Also, Louise, if you started a line of affordable lingerie, I'd be a faithful customer. That's all I'm saying.

Logan, I'm a simple girl and I liked this. It was the first thing on the runway and I let out a small gasp and whispered, "cute" to myself. Because it is cute. Extremely simple, too simple for PR, but cute and well made, nonetheless.

On second thought, I'm surprised that this is Logan's. It seems very safe for him.


Christopher, I like you and I like you a lot. This was super cute and well made. Even your styling was fabulous. I feel like you're this season's Michael Knight. Another thing I noticed about this is that at first glance, you don't really notice that she's pregnant, which I'm sure pregnant ladies can appreciate.

Plus his model looks like Elizabeth Berkeley & Mary Louise Parker had a love child. Win.

Aaaaand Ra'mon. Um. I don't know what to say here.

Ok, yes I do.

At first, I was like, "Tim, this is cute. Leave him alone. It's not going to make her look bigger."

Then she walked out on the runway and I was like, "Ok, Tim. You know all. I'm sorry I doubted you. I bow at your feet."

I really wanted to like this because I really like Ra'mon but the fact of the matter is...she did look like a bowling ball bag (We get it, Romijn. And we get it. WE FREAKIN GET IT!) Seriously, did you not hear her say that at least four times? Although Nina got me thinking and I've decided that I would really like to see this dress in black. Hop on it, Ra'mon.


And Miss Althea. This dress was gorgeous. It would look fab on anyone, pregnant or not. I totally agreed with whichever judge, I think it was Monique, that the cups needed to be bigger. Does she not know that boobs grow during pregnancy? And those things must have been small because the model looks like an A (maybe B) cup.


Gordana. I like you a whole lot. You're older and more mature but you're still hip. Plus, I think you were the only one in that workroom who had been pregnant before. This is so fantastic. I love everything about it, even the pants. Normally I'm against skinny jeans or tights as pants a la Lindsay Lohan, but it works here. I am in love with that top and if given the chance, I think I'd buy one for myself. The judges told Shirin that she should get into the maternity industry, but I think Gordana could do well there, too. I think outfits like this would do better in the real world because, let's be honest, how many pregnant ladies are going to red carpets or fancy dinners like Rebecca Romijn?


Carol. I like Carol a lot. I feel like we're very similar, except, you know, she's a fantastic designer. (Basically, we're both really cute but not too cute. We're just the right amount of cute. Carol, wanna be BFFs?)

I thought this was super cute. I absolutely love the color and everything...except the little bolero jacket thing. Maybe had she made it a different color and/or skipped the "scales" treatment, it would have worked. Or maybe she could have skipped it altogether since this dress already has quite a bit going on what with the draping and all.

Johnny. First off, this would be great for the everyday pregnant girl. For Rebecca Romijn? Maybe not.

I'm just not a fan of the contrasting stitching. I'm also not a fan of the type of stitching he did here (the name escapes me right now. Overlock? Over...something.) Buy anyway, I think this is a vast improvement over last week.


Oh, Epperson. Just...
...just what the eff were you thinking? When she walked on the runway with that coat thing on, I let out a huge groan. Way to make a pregnant lady look bigger. He's going to get ripped apart.

Then I saw that it came off...it could be gorgeous!

Except it's a freakin jumper. For the love of everything, no. I like you, Epperson, but I did not like this at all. I'm hoping the jumper doesn't turn out to be his signature thing.

2 comments:

Andhari said...

I like Nicolas and Althea's designs the most, all very pretty.:) I always like sophisticated designs.

becca.elpy said...

I really like the one that won, too. The first one is horrendous, as is the one that looks like a tent and the bowling bag one. Pretty much agreed with your assessment of each one.
:)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online