I remember when they opened the Barnes and Noble in Lakeland. I was a kid, like I said, about 7 years old. My mom took my there once and said that we probably wouldn't go back very often. She couldn't get me out of the store! (Please don't think my mom discouraged reading. I was read to so much as a kid that I bascially went into kindergarten knowing how to read.)
Now Kyle is learning that you shouldn't take me into a bookstore. Especially a nice, clean one. Sometimes when we'd go out to dinner at home, we'd go to B&N afterward just for something to do. It was always a bit of a struggle for him to get me out of there but he did. Maybe because I didn't want our leftovers to go bad in the car.
So last night after dinner at Las Margaritas, I wanted to go to B&N to get Craft Inc. After an hour, walking around the entire store several times, and picking up/putting back 2 or 3 other books, we left. I got my Craft Inc. and a copy of Can't Find My Way Home. I also wanted a book of Flannery O'Connor's short stories, a cocktail recipe book, and a soup cookbook.
I always feel kind of bad buying books new. At home there is this fantastic used book store. I'd bring in old books, get store credit, take out new books, and (if I didn't want them anymore) take them back in for more store credit and more books. Like a library but I don't have to return the books if I don't want to. I miss it. Now I have to shell out $35 for two books. Oh well. Sometimes I'll order them used off of Amazon but I got shafted on my last book order so I'm a little wary (it wasn't really Amazon's fault so that company still has my seal of approval.)
I read so much while Kyle was gone last year, at least one book a month on top of my schoolwork and the shops. I'd like to get back to reading and I think the trip to B&N last night will help me. (And not just because I was out of books to read.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I spend a long time in book stores too, i'd rather go alone if I go to one. :P
I love books and reading. My mom says I was uber-disappointed after the first day of school b/c they hadn't taught me how to read. Even started a 'column' on my blog doing book reviews. When I walk to the Post Office to mail orders I usually stop at the library for a while. My dad and I will go out just to go to the bookstore, with no intention of buying. Just looking. Love it.
:)
i know what you mean!
i could spend hours in a bookstore.
i recently discovered some used bookstores in my town, and they have become my new weakness!
Post a Comment