Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I need this old train to break down.

Last night Kyle called me. We were only on the phone for about a minute and a half and right before we hung up, he said, "I'm probably gonna go talk to an air force recruiter tomorrow."

Wait. What?

I asked him why and he said because he can make money and get money for school. It makes sense, I guess.

Anyway, I am thoroughly freaked out. My cousin is a Marine and he was sent to Kuwait not long after the war started. We were all praying for him to come home and, thank God, he did. It was a rough three or four months for my aunt though. He's been stationed in Germany for the past two years and earlier this year, he was set to go to Iraq. I don't see him a lot, even when he is home, but that is so scary. It's scary to know that my cousin could be another face the 6:00 news, a soldier that was killed in Iraq.

I know that I should wait to hear from Kyle before I start freaking out, but it's too late. When we hung up the phone last night, I burst into tears. As I type this, I'm crying. I don't want him to be involved with this war. I don't want to be involved in this war. War makes no sense. I wish that he would just buckle down at school, take it seriously, and ask for help when he needs it. He has no problem asking for help on other things, I don't understand why he won't ask for help with schoolwork.

I know that there are a lot of benefits to being in the armed forces but to me, it's not worth it. It's not worth worrying whether or not your loved one will come home in once piece...or come home at all. If he does decide that this is what he wants (which I don't really think it is, I think he is copping out), I don't know if I can support him. It hurts me to say that, but I'm really not sure.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Porter said...

{{big hugs}}

I grew up an "air force" child. It sucked in many ways, but was kinda fun in other ways. That branch really provides well for their people, but urge him to reeeeally think it through (though it's hard when money is a factor).

xo
Liz

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online