Sunday, August 26, 2007

Do you remember?

People always talk about where they were when Elvis or Kennedy or John Lennon died. I wasn't alive then, but I do remember where I was when Princess Diana died.

I was nine years old and I was at my cousin's birthday party. It was a sleepover and there were probably 5 or 6 of us. We were in my cousin's bedroom doing whatever it is that 9 year olds do at sleepovers when my aunt called us into the living room. We were all crowded around the TV. They were in the tunnel where the car was and there were flashing lights everywhere. At that point in time, all I knew was that Princess Di was a princess. I didn't know much about her but I remember that like it was yesterday.

I kept hearing that the paparazzi killed her. I didn't know what a "paparazzi" was and my mom told me that they are people who try to take your picture. I guess that's a good way to explain it to a nine year old.

I can't believe it has been ten years. I mean, I still don't know much about her, other than she seemed to be a great woman, but I can't believe that I remember something that happened ten years ago. And I remember it so clearly. I'm only 19, I'm just now getting to where I can say that I remember things that happened 10 or 15 years ago and it's tripping me out a little.

3 comments:

Krazy Kate Designs said...

Wait till you get really old! It's a bit disconcerting to be able to discuss history that the person you're talking to read about in a book and you lived through. :)

becca.elpy said...

Ha, I know what you mean. I'm so used to thinking when people say something happened 20 years ago, that I wasn't born yet. But I was. I was only 1 but still.

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

I remember sitting on my parents bed in Thailand watching CNN (in English) give some of the first reports. Wow I had thought about my first knowledge of that event.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online