Those signs kind of annoy me. How on earth could someone forget?
I remember that day so well.
I was in eighth grade and the tardy bell for first period had just rung. My first period class was the class where we taped the school news so we had two teachers and probably 7 or 8 kids. My one teacher was already in class with us, getting us ready to tape the news for the day. I was sitting at the table, my arms stretched out to either end, trying to get the computer and the other effects machine going when my second teacher came in.
He all but burst through the door. He was slightly out of breath and I remember the look on his face as he told us that a plane had just hit the World Trade Center. It was a look of horror, I had never seen anyone's face look like that before. We immediatley turned on CNN. That's all we did the rest of the day, in all my classes, we watched CNN.
When I went to cheerleading practice that afternoon, the man behind the desk at the gym had the TV on. I remember seeing footage of a man jumping from one of the towers. He was dressed for business and his tie was flapping up past his shoulders. I will probably never forget that image. I couldn't comprehend something being so terrible that it would cause you to jump out of the 50th floor of a building.
When I went home that night, footage was on every single channel. I remember seeing gigantic clouds of smoke and people covered in ash. I had never seen anything like that, I could never have imagined anything like it. It was horrifying. I was thirteen years old, watching the news, and I had tears in my eyes. Suddenly, I got what would make someone jump out of the 50th floor window. I couldn't believe that there were actual people going through this living hell.
On September 12th, when my mom drove me to school, I could sense that things were different. There was a solemn feeling in the air.
I can't believe that was six years ago.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment