Thursday, April 8, 2010

Unsolicited Advice

I don't like unsolicited advice. If I had wanted your advice, I would have asked. (Or I would have complained profusely as a passive-aggressive way of getting advice.) Today, however, I got some indirect, unsolicited advice that I welcomed with open arms.

A regular at the coffee shop told me, "I hope you realize how beautiful you are and that you don't have to take shit from anyone."

When she left, my eyes welled up with tears. That is, quite possibly, the most amazing thing anyone has ever told me.

I teared up because I knew she was right. I had an epiphany. I don't have to take shit from anyone. (And being a barista, you take a lot of shit about small things.)

I took that as her telling me that I can do better than a minimum wage coffee shop job. And I can. I'm smart, punctual, and use my common sense. I really wish I could put "uses common sense" on a job applicaton. In a few months, I'll have an associates degree. I'm not the most qualified person but honestly? All of my previous jobs have begged me to stay. I also wish I could put that on an application.

So from now on, I don't take shit from anybody (unless I screw up and deserve that shit.) I will value myself more. I will not feel bad about myself if I don't look absolutely perfect.

And I will not apply for any more barista, retail, or restaurant jobs ever again. I'm past that.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

" I'm smart, punctual, and use my common sense. I really wish I could put "uses common sense" on a job applicaton. ... All of my previous jobs have begged me to stay. I also wish I could put that on an application. "

why can't you put that on your applications?
put it under skills in your resume!
and put the people who begged you to stay as your references!

and i agree with her, totally.
also, i'm very happy you had that epiphany. :D

you can do it! ganbatte-o!
*hugs*

Sailor July said...

I agree with yobokitty! I totally think you can put "I use common sense" on an application. It can make you look good and can also be funny if you find a manager with a good sense of humor.

I'm totally with you, though. I don't WANT another retail job. Kind of. I want one, only that involves something I love. I enjoy working for small stores and would love to work in one again.

But I will never work in a big store or a store I hate ever again unless I absolutely have to.

Good luck, Meg!!! Sounds like things are definitely going in a really good direction! ^_^

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online