Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Two bare feet on the dashboard, young love and an old Ford

I've had to get used to a lot of things since moving up here: snow, driving in the snow, the lack of daylight, the excessive daylight, etc. One thing that is really throwing me for a loop, though, is the fact that we have seasons up here. Spring, summer, fall, and winter. They're all here, unlike Florida, which has summer and Christmas.

I was always aware that there is a definitive start and end date to all the seasons but it wasn't until June 21st (the first day of summer) that it actually meant something to me. That means that it is nearly 70 degrees right now and it is hot. It's sunny and beautiful out and we have 19 hours of daylight...but it never really gets dark, it just gets less sunny.

Since I'm practically an Alaskan now and 70 feels like 90 to me, I want to go swimming. All day. I want to sit by the pool snacking on watermelon and boiled peanuts. I want to put on my swim suit when I first wake up and not take it off until I shower and go to bed.

For the first time in my life, summer does not mean these things. I haven't had a "real" summer vacation since the summer going into my senior year of high school but these things were always an option. Now the pool is indoor and heated, the watermelons cost upwards of $12, and boiled peanuts? These people don't know what boiled peanuts are. Swim suits? I don't know where mine are. Basement? Drawer? Stuffed into my closet somewhere? I don't know.

Swimming, watermelon, and boiled peanuts have been replaced by hiking, coffee, and granola bars. I'm surprisingly ok with that.

1 comment:

Andhari said...

I always wanna move to 4 seasons places! Jakarta is quite like Florida in terms of sun all year but maybe less hot. We usually have 80 degrees-ish weather lol
Ps. Granola bars rock as much as fresh watermelon :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online