Thursday, February 4, 2010

Friday at the Movies: Charlie Bartlett



This week's movie is one I saw years ago (and several times since.) Despite having three new (to me) movies waiting in the DVR, I didn't have time to watch any of them this week. Darn you, actual job.

Charlie Bartlett is a 2007 flick directed by Jon Poll. It stars Anton Yelchin, Kat Dennings, and Robert Downey Jr. First thing? The cast is great. There's not a person in this cast that I dislike, they were all perfect for their roles.

The movie is about Charlie Bartlett (Anton Yelchin), a high school student who, if I remember correctly, is a new student at this school. He has trouble fitting in but when he realizes that students at this school are pretty messed up, he begins using his therapist to get medication to "prescribe" his classmates. More than that, he listens to them and becomes something of a therapist himself. He quickly becomes popular and lands himself a girl, Susan (Kat Dennings.) Kat's father is the principal (Robert Downey Jr.) and disapproves of her being with Charlie. Principal Gardner is dealing with his own demons and has no trouble taking them out on Charlie.


Anton Yelchin as Charlie.


Yelchin and Kat Dennings.




The dreamy Robert Downey Jr. as Principal Gardner and Kat's father.
I know from my synopsis up there, it seems like a downer of a movie. It's not. It's not a laugh-out-loud comedy but it has its moments. It's not a sad, but the first time we saw it? Kyle almost cried. It's a great balance of funny, sweet, and tearjerking. It's not a groundbreaking movie but original storylines (or even semi-original) are hare to come by these days.

1 comment:

ashleyTIA said...

I'm definitely going to add this to my Netflix. I remember when this movie came out. I kind of dismissed it, but from your review, it sounds worth it. :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online