Saturday, February 27, 2010

I didn't earn any patches that day...or ever.

Last night, while leaving Fred Meyer, I stopped to buy some Girl Scout cookies. Tagalongs and Samoas, if you must know. Seeing the little girl scouts reminded me of the time I was a Brownie scout...

I was in first grade. My teacher, Miss Marsh, was also my troop leader. She had short dark hair with bangs, her big brown eyes hidden behind wire-rimmed glasses. She wore no makeup. She was tall. I liked Miss Marsh.

On my first, and as I recall, last, field trip we went to Busch Gardens. My baby sister was sick so my mom recruited my aunt to go with me. I never went on any field trip without a chaperone.
At the time, rollercoasters were still very scary to me (and let's face it, I was far too short to ride them, anyway.) We watched in awe as Magan, a member of our troop, rode Montu (at the time, the biggest rollercoaster in the park) by herself.

I didn't get to ride anything that day. I was too short for even the bumper cars. (That's a story I like to tell now, but at the time, it was sad.)

We looked at the animals and ate lunch in what I thought was a palace at the time. There must have been a hundred marble steps leading up to the white palace, its gold trim shining in the Florida sun. Over the years, through my many trips back to the gardens, I would realize that while it looked very regal outside, the steps were not marble and there were far less than a hundred of them. It was just a restaurant, not a palace, and the trim was just painted gold. No matter, even as I envision it right now, it still looks like a palace to me. I don't remember much about my short time as a girl scout, but that trip to Busch Gardens will always stand out to me. It's now my favorite theme park and I'll ride the rollercoasters as long as time will allow.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online