This week's movie is 1993's Benny & Joon. It was directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik and stars Johnny Depp, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Aidan Quinn.It's about the relationship a young man, Benny (Aidan Quinn), has with his mentally ill sister, Juniper/Joon (Mary Stuart Masterson.) In a poker game, Joon wins (loses? I can't remember) and Sam (Johnny Depp), a cousin of a friend, must come home with them. He becomes Joon's sort of nanny and a romantic relationship develops. Sam is a quirky free-spirit...which I guess works well with Joon's mental illness? I don't know. They hit it off, though, and we can tell that Sam genuinely cares for Joon, despite her unpredictable illness. (I was unsure of what she actually had but according to the internet, it's schizophrenia. Not sure if I believe that, though.)



Swoon.I feel like I didn't get it. I felt like this was one of those movies that no one talks about but everyone has seen and loves, kind of like a diamond in the rough. Am I right, or is this just a regular ol' movie?
It wasn't bad by any means, the acting was great and the story was kind of sweet, but it just felt average. I think maybe my expectations were too high (the whole "diamond in the rough" thing.) I probably wouldn't watch it again on my own free will but if someone suggested it, I wouldn't pitch a fit.
It wasn't bad by any means, the acting was great and the story was kind of sweet, but it just felt average. I think maybe my expectations were too high (the whole "diamond in the rough" thing.) I probably wouldn't watch it again on my own free will but if someone suggested it, I wouldn't pitch a fit.

No comments:
Post a Comment