I was going to make this a video blog but now I'm in my jammies and well, I don't feel like it.
I took a little detour on my way home from class today. Detour: 5th Ave. Mall. (It sounds a lot more glamorous than it really is. Trust me.)
I went into Aerie, which is American Eagle's pajama/bra/undie store. I love their leggings (don't judge me.) I didn't go in there for leggings, though. I just wanted a little retail therapy. (And if that meant a $10 pair of clearance leggings and a $15 cami, then so be it.)
I was in the store no less than 15 seconds when a sales girl approached me...
Her: Hi! What brings you to Aerie today?
Me: Oh nothing, just browsing.
Her: Oh, really? You're not looking for anything in particular?
Me: Nope.
Her: Well, just to let you know, every single bra in the store is $10 off, front to back and that includes some of our sports bras.
Me: Oh, ok. Cool.
Her: Are you sure you're not looking for anything in particular?
Me: Nope, just shopping.
Her: Ok, well my name's Candace. Let me know if you need anything!
I couldn't believe that she just asked me twice if I was looking for anything special. As if in the ten seconds from the start of the conversation to the end, I would have thought of something in particular I needed.
I've noticed this a lot lately, overeager sales people. I'm in a pajama shop, right? Not a used car lot?
They taught us things like that when I worked at Macy's but not nearly that pushy. We were taught to ask, hold on, once. And to be honest? I rarely asked. I greeted them and told them my name if they needed anything. I figured that if someone needed help with something, they would ask. That's how I am, anyway. I hate being bombarded by sales people like I was today. I almost wanted to turn around and walk out.
What about you? Do you prefer a minimal greeting, let me know if you need anything or a full-on used car salesman type greeting?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'll be annoyed if I'm being pushed to buy something too :(
Ugh, pushy salespeople! I don't like the whole upsell thing, either...which is probably why I suck at craft shows. Ha! I hate being sold to so I don't do it to other people. I know it's their job to ask and be 'helpful' but if I tell you I'm not interested or I'm just browsing...I mean it. I'm not trying to mind trip you.
ew.. ick! i hate going into a store where the sales person seems to flock right over to you and hover, even after asking if you are looking for anything in particular! if i am... i'll ask... otherwise... let me shop!
Post a Comment