Monday, November 2, 2009

About Me


{Self portrait.}

I was born at 9:40PM on Thursday, April 14, 1988. It was a dark and stormy night, hurricane season came early. My dad was in Georgia hunting when he got the call that my mom was in labor.

I'm just kidding. I mean, that is my birthday but I'm not going to start from the second I was born. Plus, I made up all that about my dad being in Georgia. Who goes to Georgia when their wife could have a baby any second? That's right. Not my dad.

Ahem. First thing about me? I get sidetracked really easily.

But seriously, I'm twenty-one and I spent the first twenty years of my life in central Florida. I was born and raised in a little town about half an hour from Orlando. I couldn't wait to get out.

The year after we graduated high school, my boyfriend joined the air force. He asked me to marry him on March 1, 2008 and on March 18, he left for BMT. He was in Texas for about six months. Somewhere around the four month mark, he found out we'd be moving to Alaska.

Say whaaaaaat??!

I'm pretty sure that was my response. Because being from such a small town, you never think you'll actually get out. But we were leaving. See ya never, A-dale! (Ok, we'll see you when we come see our families. But we will not be happy about it.)

It's been a little over a year since we moved to Anchorage and we absolutely love it. The winters are brutal but the summers are nothing short of heaven. The scenery, food, and people are fantastic. We thought about buying a house up here and staying a little longer than Uncle Sam told us we had to. That train of thought lasted for about a week. We're now thinking about California.

Being up here and away from everyone has taught me that I'm a lot stronger than people give me credit for. I'm doing things I never thought I'd do. I'm finishing my AA at the University of Alaska and have started my own photography business. I hike in the summer and have even learned to snowboard. I got a job at a coffee shop just a few days after we moved up here (which means that I have held a job for over a year!) Honestly? I couldn't be happier with my life right now. I feel like I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Some more superficial tidbits...
  • I have three cats: Olive, Jude, and Lizzie.
  • I rarely keep my hair the same color for more than a few months at a time. I'm constantly back and forth between blonde and brunette. (My natural color is a sandy blonde.)
  • I want a golden retriever and I want to name it Comet, like on Full House. Kyle is totally ok with having a golden retriever but says I can't name it Comet. What a Debbie Downer.
  • My favorite wine is white zinfandel. (I don't care so much about the brand. Barefoot and Beringer are delish, though.)
  • I like musicals. We're planning on going to Vegas next year to see Jersey Boys. (Read: NYC & Broadway are too expensive so I have to settle for Vegas.)
  • I almost always eat cereal for breakfast.
  • I am absolutely, completely, totally terrified of snakes.
  • My favorite season is summer. Flip flops, tank tops, and sunshine for days? Yes, please.
  • I rarely go a day without drinking at least one cup of green tea.
  • I've only been on a plane once, from Orlando to San Antonio and back. I'm excited to fly again in December.
That's me in a teeny, tiny nutshell. But that's ok, because I'm rather tiny myself.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I'm in California. Let me know if you want to come visit Sacramento before making any decisions. Sacramento is a pretty easy day trip from lots of places to check out too!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online