Guest Judges: Why do I even bother?
I thought this was a very cool challenge and certainly more interesting than the "make something blue/pretty!" string of challenges that has plagued this season.
I looked for pictures of their wedding dresses before but couldn't find any so I'll explain the interesting ones and ignore the others.
The winner: Gordana

Finally! She's overdue for a win, don't you think?
They were given a few dollars (well, more than a few) to spend at Mood on whatever they wanted to go with the fabric from their dress but if I'm not mistaken, this is all fabric from the original dress. She dyed it, cut it into strips, frayed the strips, and sewed them together. Dang, woman.
Her client wanted something edgy and punk rock and I think Gordana delivered on the client's requests while also making something gorgeous and chic. The judges (I think it was the judges) commented on how well it fit her. Ehh...I beg to differ. It's not a bad fit, by any means, just not fit well enough to comment about it. My only problem with this look is the styling. The hair is just awful. The boots almost work but I think some heels would have been better.
The aufee: Epperson

Do you need a second to pull yourself together? Ok...
Better now?
This isn't great but there were certainly other looks that were worse (which I'll get to in a second.) The thing with Epperson is although I don't always like his designs, I can't deny that his workmanship is consistently good. I don't recall him ever sending something shoddy down the runway. Other people do it all the time.
So anyway, the design...something is off and I just can't figure out what it is. I'm thinking it's the length of the skirt. Shorten it a little maybe? Or is it the bodice? I can't make up my mind.
Heidi said part of the reason he was on the chopping block is because he didn't understand the challenge. Um, yes he did. He was trying to tell you that at first he didn't realize that they were supposed to use as much of the dress as possible but you interrupted him, Heidi! When he realized that he was actually supposed to use as much of the dress as possible, he changed his design accordingly. Whatever. I miss you already, Epperson.
Shirin

Shirin was the last person to pick divorcees so she got stuck with this girl. Her dress was just a simple, long, white, spaghetti strapped dress. Shirin whined. and whined. and whined. about having the least amount of fabric and about having no beading or applique. (Call me crazy but...wouldn't a solid white dress be the best thing for this challenge? Beading and applique can often scream "Bride!" and most of the other dresses were about 50% tulle or lace.) I said, "GOOD LORD. Can you whine some more, Shirin?" And you know what? She did. She whined for most of the episode. She even cried. I mean, I'd cry too if my client wanted something reminiscent of Cher's Half Breed (how hot is Cher in that video? I mean, really.)
But her client really did want that, feathers, the whole shebang. Shirin put her foot down, in a nice way, and came up with this little number. It's not stunning but the stitching (the design on it is just stitching!) was an amazing idea.
Logan

I don't even know where to start. The ugly pants with the horrible cuffs? The whackadoodle top? The fact that this whole entire thing is ill-fitted? The fact that the detailing around the collar is almost identical to the detailing on the dress that sent Louise home last week?
Looking at his sketch, this could have been chic...if Logan knew how to sew or even cared. Logan and Epperson were in the bottom two and I definitely think Logan should have left. Yea, he's pretty, but Epperson can sew. This is a design competition, not a pretty competition.
Christopher

Ahhh, the Hefty bag dress. He did a black lining/bottom layer with part of her dress as the white, iridescent outer layer and part of the trim of her dress as the little belt.
I feel like this could be cute if the outer layer is not white, iridescent, or wrinkly and the dress is just a little more fitted. I get that it's not supposed to be tight, and that's ok, but just a little more fitted.
Carol

Carol picked the divorcee she did because the dress had a lot of tulle. What the heck? What are you going to make out of, what I'm guessing is at least, 20 or 30 yards of tulle?
That's right, this little number. I actually like it a lot. There's not a lot Carol has produced that I didn't like, though. The color is fab and I'm always down for a little shrug/bolero. The only thing I have a problem with is all that tulle. I know there's a layer underneath but tulle is so itchy and uncomfortable
Nicolas

Nicolas' divorcee was adorable. Her dress was this little flower child frock and she even had a flower crown. She instructed him not to buy any animal fibers, no wool or leather.
So Nicolas made this. I don't really have anything to say about it. It's a forgettable, but not horrible ensemble.
Irina

Man, that woman looks pissed. Cheer up, buttercup, you're wearing a pretty dress!
I like - no - love the lace. The color is also perfect. I have an issue with the sleeves, though. They're those weird butterfly (at least that's what I call them) sleeves that make you look like your top half is melting. That's not attractive. Other than that, I say Irina sent out another winner!
Althea


Finally! She's overdue for a win, don't you think?
They were given a few dollars (well, more than a few) to spend at Mood on whatever they wanted to go with the fabric from their dress but if I'm not mistaken, this is all fabric from the original dress. She dyed it, cut it into strips, frayed the strips, and sewed them together. Dang, woman.
Her client wanted something edgy and punk rock and I think Gordana delivered on the client's requests while also making something gorgeous and chic. The judges (I think it was the judges) commented on how well it fit her. Ehh...I beg to differ. It's not a bad fit, by any means, just not fit well enough to comment about it. My only problem with this look is the styling. The hair is just awful. The boots almost work but I think some heels would have been better.
The aufee: Epperson

Do you need a second to pull yourself together? Ok...
Better now?
This isn't great but there were certainly other looks that were worse (which I'll get to in a second.) The thing with Epperson is although I don't always like his designs, I can't deny that his workmanship is consistently good. I don't recall him ever sending something shoddy down the runway. Other people do it all the time.
So anyway, the design...something is off and I just can't figure out what it is. I'm thinking it's the length of the skirt. Shorten it a little maybe? Or is it the bodice? I can't make up my mind.
Heidi said part of the reason he was on the chopping block is because he didn't understand the challenge. Um, yes he did. He was trying to tell you that at first he didn't realize that they were supposed to use as much of the dress as possible but you interrupted him, Heidi! When he realized that he was actually supposed to use as much of the dress as possible, he changed his design accordingly. Whatever. I miss you already, Epperson.
Shirin

Shirin was the last person to pick divorcees so she got stuck with this girl. Her dress was just a simple, long, white, spaghetti strapped dress. Shirin whined. and whined. and whined. about having the least amount of fabric and about having no beading or applique. (Call me crazy but...wouldn't a solid white dress be the best thing for this challenge? Beading and applique can often scream "Bride!" and most of the other dresses were about 50% tulle or lace.) I said, "GOOD LORD. Can you whine some more, Shirin?" And you know what? She did. She whined for most of the episode. She even cried. I mean, I'd cry too if my client wanted something reminiscent of Cher's Half Breed (how hot is Cher in that video? I mean, really.)
But her client really did want that, feathers, the whole shebang. Shirin put her foot down, in a nice way, and came up with this little number. It's not stunning but the stitching (the design on it is just stitching!) was an amazing idea.
Logan

I don't even know where to start. The ugly pants with the horrible cuffs? The whackadoodle top? The fact that this whole entire thing is ill-fitted? The fact that the detailing around the collar is almost identical to the detailing on the dress that sent Louise home last week?
Looking at his sketch, this could have been chic...if Logan knew how to sew or even cared. Logan and Epperson were in the bottom two and I definitely think Logan should have left. Yea, he's pretty, but Epperson can sew. This is a design competition, not a pretty competition.
Christopher

Ahhh, the Hefty bag dress. He did a black lining/bottom layer with part of her dress as the white, iridescent outer layer and part of the trim of her dress as the little belt.
I feel like this could be cute if the outer layer is not white, iridescent, or wrinkly and the dress is just a little more fitted. I get that it's not supposed to be tight, and that's ok, but just a little more fitted.
Carol

Carol picked the divorcee she did because the dress had a lot of tulle. What the heck? What are you going to make out of, what I'm guessing is at least, 20 or 30 yards of tulle?
That's right, this little number. I actually like it a lot. There's not a lot Carol has produced that I didn't like, though. The color is fab and I'm always down for a little shrug/bolero. The only thing I have a problem with is all that tulle. I know there's a layer underneath but tulle is so itchy and uncomfortable
Nicolas

Nicolas' divorcee was adorable. Her dress was this little flower child frock and she even had a flower crown. She instructed him not to buy any animal fibers, no wool or leather.
So Nicolas made this. I don't really have anything to say about it. It's a forgettable, but not horrible ensemble.
Irina

Man, that woman looks pissed. Cheer up, buttercup, you're wearing a pretty dress!
I like - no - love the lace. The color is also perfect. I have an issue with the sleeves, though. They're those weird butterfly (at least that's what I call them) sleeves that make you look like your top half is melting. That's not attractive. Other than that, I say Irina sent out another winner!
Althea

Althea is always in the middle. I get excited when they critique her because she never gets that!
But she is always in the middle because of things like this. I feel like I'm seeing this for the first time because I don't remember it from the runway show. It's a pretty color (I like light blue) but the design is average. Maybe below average. I know she can do better and I really wish she'd step it up.
But she is always in the middle because of things like this. I feel like I'm seeing this for the first time because I don't remember it from the runway show. It's a pretty color (I like light blue) but the design is average. Maybe below average. I know she can do better and I really wish she'd step it up.

1 comment:
I like Gordana's and Christopher's dresses. You're right about Gordana's dress though, why the boots? Some chunky platform would have been better and please, the hair is real bad.
Post a Comment