Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Alaska-versary

Tuesday marked our one year Alaska-versary. Has a year already passed? Everyone told us that our time in the military would fly but...can it slow down a little?

{View from our hike in Denali.}

{Kyle and I at Flat Top, one of the most popular hiking spots in Anchorage.}

{About nine miles south of Girdwood on the Seward highway.}

{Graffiti at Resolution Park.}

I've learned a lot in the past year.
  • I learned how to drive on show and ice. (It makes driving on rainy roads feel like a cakewalk.)
  • I learned how to bundle up. I mean really bundle up.
  • I learned that there probably isn't an animal that people won't eat.
  • I learned that it's called a snow machine, not a snowmobile. (Even though snow machine sounds like a machine that makes snow.)
  • I learned that I can live without chain restaurants (or chain stores, for that matter.) Local food is better, anyway.
  • I learned how to snowboard! (Kind of.)
  • I learned how to fight the urge to snuggle up on the couch on cold days. (The secret? Live somewhere cold. Then every day is a cold day and you know you can't stay inside every day.)
  • I learned how to shovel snow. (Badly, but still. I can do it well enough to pull the car into the garage.)
  • I learned that even though I love hiking, it's just walking through the woods. (Which is why Kyle now says we're going walking though the woods. He likes to mock me.)
  • I learned that there is a land without snakes. It's called Alaska and if it weren't so dang cold, I'd never leave because my fear of snakes is reaching phobia levels. (Florida is ridden with snakes. *shudder*)
  • I learned that a Subaru is the best car for ice & snow and why it's such a good car for those conditions.
That's (part) of what I've learned in my year in Alaska. It's a gorgeous place full of mountains, moose, and beer. All of which I approve.

5 comments:

becca.elpy said...

Happy Alaska-versary to you and Kyle! The photos are gorgeous, BTW!

jessicajane said...

ay for 4 wheel drive cars...haha. and you are one of THOSE people...maybe, maybe not. but here in California, people act crazy when it rains! Im not kidding when I say, it rained the other day, and the news channel said there were over 80 car crashes bc of it..and it wasnt even a storm?

I miss the snow. Send me some ina jar. I bet it would melt b4 it got to me. Hahaha.

Andhari said...

Happy Alaskaversary to youuuu! You know, I always wanna check the place out. So far all I know is from internet and tv. It lookslike an ice paradise :)

Sumit said...

Happy Alaska-versary. :D I just happened to stumble across your blog from 20sb and loved the pics, so just had to comment.

heavealie said...

'happi alaskaversary' the spell check software is going haywire on this word haha!!awesome place to live ha!!i think they used to show alsaka only in heidi??do they??you are living in heaven already.nice pictures!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online