Friday, September 11, 2009

Project Runway Season Six, Episode Four

The challenge: make a dress for their models to wear to some party that is apparently very important.
Guest judge: To be honest, I don't know who was the guest judge. The only real PR judge was Heidi, everyone else was a guest. Basically, this judging panel sucked something fierce. Take away Michael and Nina and you just have Heidi. Don't get me wrong, I love Heidi but she's doesn't provide the entertainment of Nina Garcia. (And Michael Kors, are you still alive? I'm guessing we would have heard something if you weren't but - oh wait, it's NY Fashion Week, isn't it? Ok then. Nevermind.)

First off, an interesting little article about last week's episode. It's short and you should definitely read it.

Now, let's get this show on the road!

The winner, Althea.

To be honest, I'm trying to figure out how and why this won. It just looks so sloppy to me. Part of which could be resolved if the girl PUT ON A BRA.

I like the idea but the proportions are so wrong. The skirt is hiked up to her bra-less boobs, making it look far too short. I can only think that if Nina were judging, she'd have the model pull the skirt out from under her chest and down to her hips. In my opinion, that would make this look one hundred times better. (But I love those shoes. I used to have a brown pair similar to those but they made my feet go numb if I wore them for more than thirty minutes so they had to go.)

And the aufee, Qristyl.

Boring and safe? Yes. Worthy of an auffing? NO. No no no. Not compared to that thing Johnny sent down the runway (which we'll get to in a minute.)

I know she wouldn't stand out in this fancy model party but at least the dress looks well made and not like a bridesmaid's dress. I'll be honest, Qristyl wasn't my favorite (especially after last week) but she did not deserve to leave over this. People have stayed in this competition by making far crappier crap.

Shirin
This was in the middle because it's nice. Forgettable, but nice. I'm reminded of an episode of Degrassi where Manny is told that her acting audition is "glass of milk." The agent she's auditioing for says something like, "Milk. It's nice, but where's the pizazz?" Now with that said, I'd like to say that I am so glad she refused to make the royal blue jumpsuit with gold trim that her model wanted. I think this was a good compromise between designer and model. She stuck with the color scheme but ditched the jumpsuit. Hallelujah!

Ra'mon

I'm struggling to see why this was middle of the pack. Was it the best? No. But I like it. She would most certainly stand out, and for the right reasons, I think. It fits her so well and I have to hand it to Ra'mon, the man knows how to fit things to a woman's body. I even like the way he styled this, she looks gorgeous!

Nicolas

Ok, the first time I saw this in the workroom, before he put the collar on, I was reminded of Carrie Bradshaw's naked dress. I was pleasantly surprised when he turned this out. She does look naked, she looks fab. My only criticism here is that Nicolas is delusional. The second she turned the corner I said, "The top is not fitted. There are HUGE GAPS. What the heck?!" Not two seconds later, Nicolas says something along the lines of, "It fits her perfectly." Well, yes. If you don't look at the sides of the bust. And I have to point out, this girl doesn't have boobs. I thought that'd make it a little easier to fit things but apparently not. Anyway, Nicolas is totally growing on me. (And hot shoes.)

Louise

I was surprised. It doesn't fit her usual 20s/30s/50s aesthetic, which is good. She's showing that while she can do retro, she can also crank out a great little dress like this.

By great, I mean that it looks GREAT. My problem with these collars is that they seem awfully impractical. I can't imagine wearing this out and being comfortable (I can barely wear a scarf without feeling like I'm being suffocated, though.) I really like Louise, especially since she's showing us that she's not just a one trick pony.

Logan

You guys! Like, my Madonna costume is so totally awesome! Like a virgin, HEY!

Seriously. Didn't Madge wear this in the Like a Virgin video? I didn't understand what the judges were saying with the top looking heavy...heavy with the color or heavy with the fabric? If it was heavy with the fabric, Logan should have gotten props for making lace look heavy. And the electric blue? Come on Logan, you know better. You are a better designer than this. (And again with the shoes! There were some great shoes on that runway.)


Johnny

Ahhhhh.

He even styled her like a bridesmaid.

And what's with the red shoes? Red and purple? Are you colorblind?

I don't have a lot to say about this, aside from the aforementioned. I will say that all of the bunching and layers around the middle made this girl look much bigger than she actually is...which is probably not the best thing for a fancy model party that is apparently very important.

Irina

I feel like she totally dropped the ball. The jacket looks like it belongs to an entirely different outfit, does it not? She's one of my favorites, she turns out good work consistently but this is totally glass of milk. The end.

Gordana

I'll be honest, when I saw her working on this, I was like, "Good Lord woman, AGAIN with the weaving?" So when I saw her step foot on the runway, I was prepared to hate it. I'm not a fan of the woven look and, in my defense, I thought she did bell sleeves on it. (Yikes.)

But I love this. I really really love this. I'm not normally a fan of nude colored fabric because it always seems to blend in with the skin but here? It works. She looks gorgeous. The dress and styling are perfect and again, I'm at a loss as to why this was a middle of the pack entry. (PS: Is it Gore-dana or Jore-dana?)

Epperson

Remember in the workroom when Tim told him that from just under the bust down, it's perfect? That's how I feel.

Remember when Heidi commented on her boobs? That's how I feel.

I hate the bust of this thing. It is so unflattering and just...ew. The rest of it, I like. I do not like the styling though. Totally naked dress, again.

I felt like the editors felt bad for making Epperson look like the bad guy in the last episode so they gave him a good edit this week with the phone call and the crying while sewing (I'm not gonna lie, I teared up.) I like Epperson, and I even liked him last week, so I'm glad to see that he's making pretty clothes again. I'm going to pretend like last week didn't happen.

Christopher

The color just makes me think of Kermit the frog and the pleating really does make her look like a salad. Despite both of these things, I like this. I think it'd look better in a different color...nude, pale blue, or even red, but I do like it. I like Christopher a lot, though, so that probably has something to do with my liking the salad dress(ing.) HAH!

Carol

First off, I'm refusing to call her Carol Hannah from here on out. Carol is enough name for you, little lady.

In the previews, I was so sure this was the dress evoking the "You've aged her ten years!" comment from the judges. I swear I've seen Helen Mirren and/or Meryl Streep wear a dress with that same top and the fabric on the bottom makes me think of curtains. Not to say that I don't like this dress, because it's ok, I'm just unsure as to why it was in the top when people like Gordana and R'amon were in the middle. I don't care for the styling here at all. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like about her hair, but I don't like it.

Anyway, see you next week with more Project Runway!

1 comment:

Andhari said...

Since dresses are my one of my basic essentials in the closet I have a couple things to say here.

I love the work of Ra'Mon, Louise, and Nicolas. They're so good to wear on a night out, very sophisticated.

Christopher's kermit the frog dress will look so much better in other colors, maybe maroon or even deep purple.

You're right about Althea shouldn't win here. The look of the entire outfit is better if the bottom isn't that high waisted and the model wear a bra. I spot this look so in out there, the entire combination is correct but it just looks sloppy here.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online