Saturday, September 5, 2009

Project Runway Season 6, Episode Three

This episode was a little...crazy? That's an understatement.

Challenge: Create a surf-inspired look. Oh, and an avant garde look to go with it.
Guest Judge: Rachel Bilson

The designers worked in pairs on this one...but then had to create a second look in their pairs so it's like they really didn't need to be in pairs.

I was excited for the surf-inspired look because that's how I dress sometimes: casual, comfy, low-key. But then they threw in the avant-garde look and it all went to hell. They couldn't wait for a more appropriate challenge to do avant-garde? Surf and avant-garde are pretty much complete opposites. (And they normally don't do avant-garde until there are far fewer designers.)

Drinking game! Do a shot every time I say "avant-garde"! If you make it to the end of the post, you win!

Much like the actual episode, this post is going to be helter skelter. I'm only going over a few of the designs because really? Most of the runway last night was very "wth?" (Others to check out: Louise (thumbs up), Logan (thumbs down), and Uli-I mean-Shirin (she TOTALLY got overlooked. That's such an awesome look.)

Let's get started, shall we?

The loser: Mitchell

Since Mitchell and Ra'mon worked on a team together and apparently Ra'mon did all the work, technically Ra'mon was the winner and the loser. But Mitchell went home because he sucks. And he knows he sucks.

"I wanted to work with someone that could carry me on this challenge." -actual quote from Mitchell.

It doesn't matter who made this, it's average. It's an average dress with a crooked bust. And since Ra'mon can actually sew, Mitchell got the boot. FINALLY.

The winner: Ra'mon

Soooo. Ra'mon can sew and I do like him but this? This was not worthy of a win. The green is a horrible color and...the dye job (I'm assuming he was going to dye it all and then ran out of time when Tim came in and lectured him about not having time and I was like, "TIM! I love you but you're eating up this man's time!") I can't get past the fact that it looks like a stain. It's one of those "Is it an old lady or a young girl" things where you have to look at it just right. Apparently I'm not looking at it right because, again, it looks like a stain.

Also, one of these boys pointed out that they made their garments in about 45min. I don't know how much time they had, I think it was 24hrs., but WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU DOING FOR THE OTHER 23HRS. AND 15MIN.?!

Whew. Sorry.


Gordana & Nicolas
Surf-inspired to the right, avant-garde to the left.

Even after talking to the surf girls, it's like the designers knew nothing about the task at hand. The top on the surf-inspired look, while not my style, was decent. They put a lot of thought and work into it and that's always appreciated. I'm not a fan of the pants, though. I'll never understand any sort of pants on the beach. No matter how light, airy, and open they are, you will burn up.

The avant-garde look isn't that avant-garde at all. It's lace. She's covered in lace and oh, hey, a big collar. I'm not sure many of the designers know what avant-garde is.

Epperson & Qristyl

These guys, I tell you what. They put on a show, did they not? Qristyl thinking that Epperson was trying to take over and then being unnecessarily defensive. Epperson trying to take over and then getting mad at Qristyl. I couldn't tell who was in the wrong here (good job, editors!) but I'm going to pin the blame on Qristyl. The second they got to work talking and sketching on the beach, she became defensive.

Anyway, their bickering came across in their work. I have mixed feeling about this dress, though. I love the fabric and I love the bodice. The bottom, however, is horribly unflattering. It's such a strange length and the ballooning effect makes the poor girl look huge from the waist down.

I'm not even touching their avant-garde look. Nina summed it up with three words: "What is this?"

Johnny & Irina

These guys worked together beautifully. I love this look! I'd wear it in a heartbeat. I want it. Badly. It's beachy, young, and fun. They listened to the surf girls and made an appropriate outfit. Bravo! I'm sorry you guys were overlooked this episode.


I don't have as many good things to say about their avant-garde look, though. The weaving on the front is what tied it to the macrame on the back of their surf look. The weaving looks so messy here, the color is so drab, and again with the big collars?


Last but not least, Carol Hannah.
First off, I thought that Hannah was her last name and I kept wondering why they were saying her whole name. Then I realized that Hannah is her middle name. Carol Hannah. It's a cute name but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like Mary Kate or Jamie Lee.

Name issues aside, this was pretty and I can't understand why Ra'mon won when, in my opinion, this is 100% better. (The styling is AWFUL, though.) Sure, it's a boring color but it doesn't look like it has a huge stain on the front, so that's a plus. The new Project Runway team over at Lifetime needs to get it together because I'm sure this was the most undeserved win in history (aside from Jeffrey's avant-garde win a few seasons ago.)

3 comments:

Kerri W. said...

First of all, I love that you're doing these recaps. AMAZING.

Second of all, I love that I am actually able to watch this season because I'm home on the evenings that it is actually airing. WINNER.

Third of all, I agree with almost all of what you were saying! I think the only thing I DID end up liking was the awkward tie-die dress. When I saw it on the runway, I was all, "Actually...that is something that I could actually see normal people buying...well, semi-normal people." So much of what people make is just out of control and crazy-pants (sometimes involving actual pants, which is unfortunate). And I guess that it helped that Rachel Bilson was the judge - I could totally see her wearing that dress!

Anyway, awesome recap! You are a gem.

Kerri W. said...

And I just re-read my comment and when I wrote "the only thing I DID like" it didn't come out right. I meant to say: "the only thing I liked that you didn't like". Because there were other things I liked, obviously.

Heehee. I have issues.

Andhari said...

I like the avant-garde one. Sooo pretty! I keep telling myself I'll watch project runway but seriously I have a lot of tv shows like big bang theory to finish but soon after that, i'll give this a watch i'm so curious.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online