Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Scones and Biscuits

Sometime last year, we started selling raspberry scones at the coffee shop. They're really good.

But they're also really big and the top of them is hidden in a layer of pure sugar. I made a mental note to make my own and that note got pushed into the "maybe one day, I don't know, not right now, maybe next week" file.

A few weeks ago I finally gave it a try...


Cherry Almond Scones
(makes four)

-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/4 cup sugar (or slightly less)
-4 tablespoons chilled butter
-3 teaspoons water
-2 teaspoons oil
-4 tablespoons milk
-Dried cherries
-Slivered almonds

In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and a dash of salt. With your fingers, crumble in butter and mix until crumbly and well incorporated. Stir in cherries and almonds.

In a separate small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine water, oil, milk and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.

Grease a small ramekin and form the dough into a ball, lightly press into ramekin. Spread top of dough with butter and sprinkle a little extra sugar-- sugar in the raw adds a nice little crunch.

Bake for 15- 20 minutes at 350.


They were tasty but something was off. I decided that they'd probably make really great biscuits so one night, I omitted the almonds and cherries and made biscuits! We had them with beef tips and brown rice and they were fantastic, if I do say so myself. My only warning with either recipe is that they are very crumbly. With the final scone, I put a little butter on it, mashed it up, and ate it sort of like a cobbler.

On second thought, that's not really a problem.

1 comment:

Tia Colleen said...

I haven't ever made a scone.

I've only had them once. At the Puyallup fair in Washington, when my neighbors and close friends took me. Apparently the scones were a huge part of their fair experience, and I had never even tried them, so they insisted on buying me a bag. THEY WERE AMAZING. I remember the warm gooey jam like filling.

I should look up some gluten free recipes for raspberry scones. The triangle shaped ones.

I wish you were gluten free, haha.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online