Everyone loved it. (Because it is FREAKING DELICIOUS.) My dad and I baked at least 3 or 4 every holiday season for 3 or 4 years straight. I had people asking for them at Easter. (WTH, family? Eat your Peeps and be quiet.) I had a cousin hijack my aunt's cell phone last Thanksgiving to ask me where his pumpkin roll was. Someone else had made it and it wasn't as good as mine. I don't do anything special to them so I think their issues are psychological.
Anyway, on with the recipe! We're gonna do this Alton Brown style, but without all the scientific info.
The dry team
- 1 cup sugar (I think I normally do 3/4 of a cup, though.)
- 3/4 cup all-all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
The wet team
For the filling
You don't need this stuff right now but I'd go ahead and take the cream cheese out to soften.- 8oz. softened cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Other things you need because this thing is involved

- A mixer
- A 10 x 15in. jelly roll pan (I used our cookie sheet and it worked fine.)
- A clean kitchen towel
- Wax paper
- Crisco or another nonstick spray
Let's get cooking!
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix it up by gradually adding the dry to the wet. Adding it gradually is more to avoid having a flour mess all over yourself. Now it's yum for real.Spray your pan with Crisco (I'm sure you don't have to but I do out of paranoia) and line it with wax paper. Spray the wax paper with Crisco, spread your mixture evenly in the pan, and bake for about 15 minutes.
Start by mixing the butter and cream cheese together. Once that's mixed, add in the powdered sugar (gradually to avoid a mess!) and vanilla. Mix it until it's smooth and creamy, like the picture. I almost feel like you could make a little less filling and be ok, like maybe take out 1/4 of all the ingredients.


1 comment:
ok. so, we have the same mixer. same teapot. same dish towels. and same flour/sugar canisters!!!!? lol. i ended up making the pumpkin roll after i saw your photo on thanksgiving, and it was delish.
Post a Comment